Saturday, April 14, 2012

A long love affair, called - Titanic


                I don't know how appropriate it is to say this but it is because of the incident that happened on this date, 100 years ago, that we got a masterpiece, a modern classic, an unforgettable and a life changing experience in the film Titanic. A film that is certainly the greatest film ever, for people of my generation and a movie that has been a major part of us while growing up. A film that set the standards for us in movies and in terms of making 'em.
                On the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic, I cannot thank James Cameron enough for making this film; bringing this tragic story, of the magnificent ship, to us. Although he did bank on this story of human loss by making billions but he did justice to the incident by giving us a humanised potrayal of the tragedy, paying attention to every detail without over exploiting the incident and having us sympathize with the people on board. Having said that, we also can't deny that we enjoy every bit of watching the ship sink. Hell, we went to see the ship sink all over again in 3D this year! No one can deny this that the film is a spectacle! But honestly, it wasn't just because of the ship that we spent 250 bucks for watching it again, 15 years after its original release. We went to see the Titanic that Cameron presented us - with Jack, Rose, James Horner's amazing music, Celine Dion's awesome song and, of course, the jaw dropping technical marvel! We really feel like we're ON the Titanic!
                We celebrate this film, around the world, indirectly celebrating the accident. But we cared to know about the tragedy or took even a remote interest in the ship because Cameron gave us an eternal love story amidst the tragedy. If it wasn't for that, Titanic would have been just another ship that sank. So, on behalf of everyone, I thank James Cameron for making Titanic, going all the way down to Atlantic's bottom, romancing the wreckage and telling us this story! For making us cry for Jack and Rose's love for each other, for having us hope we find someone with whom we can have that. (Even if we're not good at drawing!) I don't know about others but I can't help well up a bit whenever I watch the film, whether alone or with my loved ones. It's hard to not fall in love with the film and even harder to forget it. It still won't have you taking your eyes away in its 3 hours or so run time. As a kid, I just watched the film to see the ship sink. I understood the story only after I grew up. And when I did, it hit me so hard that the film became really close to me, like no other, and still is.
                Taking this opportunity, I also want to Thank Cameron for giving us Leo and Kate! The film made these extraordinarily talented actors famous around the world, giving them the attention they truly deserved. I love them, I heart the film and I truly admire the person who made this film - the man who said on the Oscar stage,"I'm the king of the world!" - James Cameron. I love him too! :')

1 comment: